Q: We are looking to switch accountants but want to retain our bookkeeper, do you work with external bookkeepers?

A: We have many clients with in-house bookkeepers or internal finance departments. Although we only prepare annual financial statements for these clients we are in regular contact with their bookkeepers throughout the year and provide assistance with any technical issues.

Q: I’m a PAYE worker with rental income, do you deal with clients like me?

A: Yes absolutely. We have many clients that are not self-employed who just need to file an annual tax return and want to know that it is completed correctly by a Chartered Accountant.

Q: I’m based in Dublin and you are in Ballinasloe, how will the service work?

A: Due to advances in technology, we believe that we can provide the same level of service to our clients based remotely as to those located close to our offices. 90% of communication with accountants nowadays is by email and phone. As a firm we can utilise data sharing services for incredibly easy sharing of data.

Q: How easy is it to change my accountant?

It is a very simple process. Whilst there is inevitably some paper work involved in a change, Coyle & Co will help you through the process. Your old accountant has a duty to provide us with all necessary continuity information, in addition, there are alternative ways of obtaining most of this information.

Q: What are our fees?

The cost of our services depends on the amount of time spent working for the client. We are more than happy to meet with you for a free initial consultation to discuss your circumstances and give a guide to fees expected depending on the range of work.

Q: What documents do you need to file my tax return?

All new clients need to provide photographic ID and proof of address; we are obliged to take a copy of these for anti-money laundering purposes. We will provide you with a tailored check list of information we may need to file your return.

Q: Do I have to register for VAT?

Revenue require registration for Value Added Tax (VAT) if your annual turnover exceeds or is likely to exceed the following annual limits: €75,000 in respect of the supply of goods or €37,500 in respect of the supply of services.

Q: Who pays Income Tax?

An individual who is resident, ordinarily resident and domiciled in the State is liable to income tax in respect of his/her total income wherever arising. He/she is entitled, however, to claim certain Tax Credits and deductions.

An individual who is not resident in the State is normally liable to income tax in respect of income arising to him/her in the State.

A partnership as such is not chargeable to income tax. Each partner is chargeable individually to the tax referable to his/her share of the partnership income. Income tax is normally chargeable on the entire income of an unincorporated body at the standard rate.

Non-resident companies are liable to income tax in respect of any income arising in the State which is not charged to corporation tax.